Kapil Sharma is an Indian stand-up comedian and television presenter famously known for hosting the ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’. He has also acted in Bollywood movies such as Bhavnao Ko Samjho, Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon, and Firangi. Sharma shot to fame in 2007 after he emerged winner of the ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’, a reality television show.
He has been featured twice in Forbes India’s Celebrity 100 list, i.e in 2017 and 2019. As of 2019, his Forbes ranking stands at 53. Sharma has a huge fan following on social media with a massive 43.8 million followers on Instagram.
Table of Contents
- Height – 175 cm
- Weight – 80 Kg
- Eye color – Black
- Hair color – Black
- Birthplace – Amritsar, Punjab
- Zodiac sign – Aries
- Age – 41
- Qualifications – Graduate
Born on 2nd April 1981 in a Punjabi family, Sharma’s original name was Kapil Punj. His father Jeetendra Kumar Punj worked as a head constable in Punjab Police and his mother Janak Rani was a homemaker. Jeetendra Kumar Punj passed away in 2004 after battling with cancer for 7 years. Sharma’s brother Ashok Kumar Sharma works as a police constable and he also has a sister by the name Pooja Pawan Devgan.
Sharma got married to Ginni Chatrath on 12th December 2018. The couple is having two children, a daughter, and a son.
On the sets of the reality show ‘Comedy Circus’, Sharma met Preeti Simoes, an executive producer of several famous Indian television shows. When the show was going on, the couple got engaged and they both were in a relationship for 8 years. Simoes also worked as Sharma’s manager in popular television shows such as Comedy Nights with Kapil and The Kapil Sharma Show. Though the couple was serious about getting married, they both parted ways after Sharma disclosed his new partner Ginni Charath’s name on Twitter.
Sharma completed his school education at Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School, Amritsar. Later he enrolled at Hindu College, Amritsar for pursuing a college education. Sharma completed his bachelor’s degree from Apeejay College of Fine Arts, Jalandhar.
Sharma was mired in controversy in several instances and some of them are:
- On a flight, Sharma got into a public brawl with Sunil Grover, his fellow co-star. Reportedly Sharma was drunk and started hurling abuses at Grover. Immediately, Sharma held Grover by his collar and raised his hand. However, Grover didn’t make any comments about this incident later.
- Deepali Sayyad, a Marathi actress had accused Sharma of misbehaving with her on the occasion of a wrap-up party that was held in connection with the International Marathi Film Festival Awards 2015. However, Sharma later denied this allegation by clarifying that he was not even present at the occasion.
- Vivek Agnihotri, the director of the movie Kashmir files stirred a controversy when he alleged that Kapil Sharma and the makers of Kapil Sharma Show refused to promote his film as there were no popular stars in it. The issue went viral and #BoycottKapilSharmaShow began trending on Twitter.
In order to pursue a career in singing, Sharma shifted to Mumbai. Prior to participating in ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’, he worked in ‘Hasde Hasande Ravo’, a Punjabi show aired on MH One channel. The year 2007 proved to be a turning point in Sharma’s life when he tried his luck in ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’ and won a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakhs. Later he competed in ‘Comedy Circus’, a comedy show aired on Sony Entertainment Television, and went on to win six seasons of the program. Sharma also donned the role of a host in Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 6, a dance reality show, and Chhote Miyan, a comedy show.
In 2013, Sharma came up with his own show ‘ Comedy Nights with Kapil’ which was aired on Colours TV. In the same year, at the CNN-IBN Indian of the Year awards he bagged the ‘Indian of the Year award’ in the entertainment category. The following year at the time of the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, Sharma was appointed as the Brand Ambassador by the Delhi Election Commission.
Sharma kick-started his acting career in Bollywood with a lead role in ‘Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon’, a movie filmed by director duo Abbas Mustan. On September 10, 2022, onwards The Kapil Sharma Show started airing on Sony TV.
A biopic on Sharma is underway and the movie titled ‘Funkaar’ will be directed by Mrighdeep Singh Lamba.
Source Of Income
It is estimated that Sharma earns an annual income of Rs.30 crore. As of 2022, his net worth stands at Rs. 336 crores. Apart from hosting television shows, Sharma’s other main source of income includes endorsing brands such as OLX, Micromax, Policybazaar.com, and Honda Mobilio.
Lesser Known Facts About Kapil Sharma
- Sharma was named after former Indian cricket captain Kapil Dev post the nation’s world cup win of 1983.
- He was more inclined toward the field of music and stand-up comedy was never his preferred choice.
- In 2007, he got rejected during the Amritsar audition round of ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’. Later he attended the Delhi round and emerged the winner. It was one of his childhood friends who encouraged him to keep trying.
- Sharma received PETA (People For Ethical Treatment of Animals) India’s Person of the Year award for 2015 considering his contributions towards the adoption of dogs from animal shelters and from the streets.
- When he was studying in 10th standard, Sharma picked up a job at a telephone booth as an additional source of income.
- During his college days, Sharma started acting in theatre but was not financially stable enough to pay the fees.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi nominated him for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Sharma is a proud owner of luxury cars such as the Mercedes Benz S350, Range Rover Evoque, and Volvo XC90.
How To Plan The Perfect Thrilling Trek Around Chardham Yatra Destinations
Uttarakhand Chardham, the four temples in Uttarakhand, is a religious pilgrimage that tests one’s strength and stamina. Devotees walk...
Vivek Ramaswamy: Indian-American Tech Entrepreneur!
Vivek Ramaswamy is an American tech entrepreneur, Republican party activist, and author. On February 22, 2023, Vivek announced in an...
Who Is Gayatri Joshi? All You Need To Know About Gayatri Joshi!
Gayatri Joshi is a former Indian actress, model, and video jockey who worked in the Hindi film industry. During her...
Rathika Rose: Everything About The Big Boss Fame Telugu Actress!
Rathika Rose is an Indian model-turned-actress who works predominantly in the Telugu film industry. She was first noticed for her...
Shamna Kasim: All About The Malayalam Actress!
Shamna Kasim, also known by her stage name Poorna is an Indian film actress who works in Malayalam, Tamil, and...
Akhil Akkineni: Everything About The Young Telugu Actor!
Akhil Akkineni is an Indian actor who works in the Telugu cinema industry. At the early age of 1, Akhil...
Yuvaraj Dhayalan: All You Need To Know About The Tamil Director!
Yuvaraj Dhayalan is an Indian cinema director and scriptwriter who works in the Tamil film industry. He started his career...
Waheeda Rehman: All About The Veteran Actress!
Waheeda Rehman is a legendary Indian actress who worked predominantly in Hindi films. In her career spanning over five decades...
Sanjeev Mantri: New MD & CEO Of ICICI Lombard General!
Sanjeev Radheyshyam Mantri is the newly designated Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of ICICI Lombard General Insurance, one of...
Srijit Mukherji: Everything About The Indian Film Director!
Srijit Mukherji is an Indian director, screenwriter, and actor who works primarily in Bengali films. After his stint in the...