Mira Murati is the Chief Technology Officer at OpenAI, an Artificial Intelligence (AI) research and deployment company based in San Francisco, California in the United States. OpenAI has gained immense popularity all across the globe with the launch of ChatGPT, an AI-powered chatbot rolled out in November 2022.
The main feature of ChatGPT is that it interacts in a conversational manner and can generate responses similar to human beings for text inputs. Mira Murati, an alumnus of Dartmouth College, heads the teams behind ChatGPT and also DALL-E, an AI-based system that can generate digital images from descriptions in natural language.
|San Francisco, California
|5 feet 7 inches
|Bachelor of Engineering (B.E), Mechanical Engineering
|Chief Technology Officer at OpenAI
Table of Contents
Mira Murati was born in San Francisco, America in 1988. She has an Albanian connection as her parents are of Albanian origin. However, Mira was brought up in the United States.
Mira is a graduate of mechanical engineering from Dartmouth College, United States. A private Ivy League research university, Dartmouth college features among the world’s top-rated academic institutions.
Recently, in an interview with TIME magazine, Mira Murati expressed her concerns about the misuse of ChatGPT. As per her statement, artificial intelligence can be misused or can be used by bad actors. She went on to state that there are questions regarding how the use of this technology can be governed globally.
After finishing her school studies, Mira Murati joined Dartmouth College and earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a major in mechanical engineering.
In 2011, Mira joined as a Summer Analyst with Goldman Sachs, the global investment banking major. Her summer internship was with their Tokyo office in Japan. After working there for less than a year, in 2012, she joined Zodiac Aerospace, a company dealing with aerospace equipment and systems.
Mira’s posting was at their Huntington Beach office in California and she worked in the role of Advanced Concepts Engineer. After gaining one year of work experience in Zodiac Aerospace, in 2013 Mira jumped to Tesla, the world leader in electric cars. She worked at Tesla’s San Francisco Bay Area office for 3 years and quit the company in 2016. While leaving, Mira’s designation was that of Senior Product Manager, Model X.
In the same year, she joined the San Francisco office of Leap Motion, a company that was into the production and marketing of a computer hardware sensor device. Mira Murati bid goodbye to that company in 2018 and while quitting she was working as the Vice President of Product & Engineering.
The turning point in Mira’s professional career was when she joined OpenAI in June 2018 as the Vice President of Applied AI and partnerships. She rose through the ranks within the organization by being elevated to the role of Senior Vice President of Research, Products, and Partnerships in December 2020 and got promoted to the current role of Chief Technology Officer in May 2022.
Source Of Income
As per reports, Mira’s net worth comes somewhere close to $1 million. Her major source of income is her job as CTO with OpenAI.
Lesser Known Facts About Mira Murati
- As a kid, Mira got attracted to artificial intelligence while playing simple video games. She used to wonder whether the agents in those video games used to have any sort of reasoning.
- During her childhood days, Mira was equally interested in mathematics as well.
- Though she belongs to a mechanical engineering background, most of Mira’s work has been focused on practical applications of technology.
- At Tesla, she headed the development and launch of Model X, one of the flagship models of Tesla. While working there, she got more interested in applications of advanced AI.
- Mira Murati believes that it is quite important for everyone including policymakers and regulators to get involved in innovation taking into consideration the impact these technologies are going to have.
- When asked in an interview about the song that offers some insight into what she is and what inspires her the most, Mira replied that it was Paranoid Android, a song by the English alternative rock band Radiohead. She found the song layered and covered the themes related to society and technology. Mira feels that though the song is not the most uplifting, it is beautiful and thought-provoking.
- The most inspiring book according to her is Duino Elegies, a collection of poems by Rainer Maria Rilke, an Austrian poet, and novelist. In fact, the book was gifted to her and she found the depth and beauty of the poems quite inspiring.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey, a movie directed by Stanley Kubrick with Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, and Douglas Rain in the lead roles, continues to stir Mira’s imagination with its imagery and music. She specifically referred to the breathtaking sequence where the space shuttle docks are portrayed alongside the waltz of Austrian composer Johann Strauss’s Blue Danube Waltz, inciting contemplation of the weightlessness of the event and the amazing feeling of the moment.
- According to Mira, GPT-3, released in 2020 was not ready to be deployed directly in medical or legal fields. She went on to add that it was always necessary for a human to be involved in the loop.
- Mira is quite curious to see the areas where ChatGPT will start providing utility to the public and not just innovation and pure curiosity.
- According to Mira Murati, as witnessed in the past with all other technology revolutions, new jobs will be created and some jobs will be lost. However, she went on to add that she was optimistic about it.
- Mira Murati is of the view that ChatGPT has immense potential to help people with personalized education.
- In an interview, she mentioned that ChatGPT may make up facts.
Ashique Thahir: Entrepreneur & Car Enthusiast From Kerala!
Ashique Thahir is an entrepreneur and automobile enthusiast hailing from the state of Kerala in India. He is the owner...
Tripti Dimri: Check Out Animal Fame Actress’s Net Worth, Family, Biography!
Tripti Dimri is an Indian actress who works in Hindi movies. She kickstarted her acting career by playing the role...
Tilak Varma: Success Story Of Young And Talented Cricketer!
Tilak Varma is an Indian cricket player who plays for the state of Hyderabad in domestic cricket. In the Indian...
Rathika Rose: Everything About The Big Boss Fame Telugu Actress!
Rathika Rose is an Indian model-turned-actress who works predominantly in the Telugu film industry. She was first noticed for her...
Who Is Gayatri Joshi? All You Need To Know About Gayatri Joshi!
Gayatri Joshi is a former Indian actress, model, and video jockey who worked in the Hindi film industry. During her...
Vivek Ramaswamy: Indian-American Tech Entrepreneur!
Vivek Ramaswamy is an American tech entrepreneur, Republican party activist, and author. On February 22, 2023, Vivek announced in an...
How To Plan The Perfect Thrilling Trek Around Chardham Yatra Destinations
Uttarakhand Chardham, the four temples in Uttarakhand, is a religious pilgrimage that tests one’s strength and stamina. Devotees walk...
Shamna Kasim: All About The Malayalam Actress!
Shamna Kasim, also known by her stage name Poorna is an Indian film actress who works in Malayalam, Tamil, and...
Akhil Akkineni: Everything About The Young Telugu Actor!
Akhil Akkineni is an Indian actor who works in the Telugu cinema industry. At the early age of 1, Akhil...
Yuvaraj Dhayalan: All You Need To Know About The Tamil Director!
Yuvaraj Dhayalan is an Indian cinema director and scriptwriter who works in the Tamil film industry. He started his career...